Sunday 23 September 2007

Surf... of sorts

I’ve surfed every day since I got to Aragam Bay, in fact I’ve surfed 3 times every day, although surfings probably too strong a term for what I’ve been doing. I trapped my sciatic nerve a couple of weeks ago. The pain in my lower back has gone but the ball of my foot and the my toes are still numb and I have limited ankle movement. It just doesn’t do what my mind is telling it to. This all adds up to a pretty good excuse for why I’ve neen so useless out in the water.

Aragam Bay is set up with a pretty good reef/point break at the southern tip (which I’ve been avoiding so far), the wave then wraps into the bay providing a much weaker ‘beginners pool’ wave close to shore and full of local kids. I’ve been thrashing about down in the kids section, swallowing my pride to get some waves. It’s a bit weird because I’m having to learn a new technique for standing up on the board. My limited movement and sensation below the knee means I have to kind of throw my left foot from the knee to try and hit the board, and if I do get it in the right spot I don’t have the flex in my ankle to turn easily. But I’m getting better, I had a really fun session this morning, and I’m enjoying being in the water.

Aragam Bay is an intriguing place which I haven’t really worked out yet. But more of that later…





2 comments:

Elaine Sola said...

Ed, don't know what you are supposed to do on blogs, but wanted to let you know I'm in touch and following. I admire your tenacity and Aragam Bay looks awesome. XX

Lisa said...

Indeed, I agree with Emma's last comment - you are showing great talents in the writing department, i was gobsmacked - i mean i know you are clever but wow....

Also absolutely delighted that you have seen the light and nirvana is close.

As for your sciatica... try massaging your heel area, they are specific points but if you cover the whole heel area from ankle to bottom of heel (including soul) you should get to the points. Also deep massage either side of achilles tendon working up the to the calf. Do this a few times a day xxxxx