Monday 15 December 2008

The Cast




So back to the Green Goddess, as I prepared her for her maiden voyage she drew admiring glances and prompted conversations with all passers–by, she’s a real show stopper. I still haven’t been able to put her through her paces because I haven’t really found much power in the ocean yet. Not for lack of trying though. My surf–buddy so far has been Paula, a very cool girl from Asturias — where I'm looking to to buy a village — via Madrid who I met whilst priming GG. We’ve wandered up and down the coast, scrambled over rocks, paddled out to rocky prominantaries day after day with little luck. There’s either been not enough swell, too much water, too little water or we’ve just been to the wrong places — our joke has become that we’re actually not surfers, we just like taking our boards out for a 'lovely walk' — and end back at the weak beach-break out front.

Another significant character in the Santa Catalina story is the wonderfully warm, charismatic and incredibly funny Mikael from Israel. He’s so unlike the typical dour Israeli traveler to be almost unrecognizable. Paula, Mikael and I are going for a family day out to SonĂ¡ tomorrow on the bus and we’ve resolved to sing all the way there, entertaining the passengers and thereby saving our $2.50 fare. We’ve been laughing lots together. They are good people.

Another interesting character is Lee from Hull who I met on the plane into Panama. His typical northern machismo persona masks a sensitive, deep thinking man. Some of the conversations we’ve had he’s said he could never have with his best friends at home. He’s been a Saturday night pub fighter in his youth and has razor blade scars all over his body to prove it. He’s been hilariously funny in a very loud, northern way, but what’s been equally amusing is the American, Dutch, Canadian and Spanish speakers trying to understand a word he’s saying. At the beach bonfire last night he got soppy-drunk and called me an oracle and that our conversations had stimulated thoughts which had changed his outlook on life. He said I had a 'pure soul' which is one of the nicest things anyone has said to me, but means even more coming from a stranger, a stranger from Hull. There's nothing stranger than Hull.

I’m thinking a lot about another pure soul I know and that makes me happy…

8 comments:

Lynton said...

You're making me long for the open road again Eduardo, keep it flowing....

Anonymous said...

i know how happy i make you ed, but a 'pure soul' is not a title im that comfortable with!
hope alls well in panama.
s x

DROOG79 said...

hey ed t,
great to hear you're off wandering again...you truly are addicted.
It's a big place but i'm in C.America too (mexico at the mo mo) might bump into you one day...keep on keepin on. EM

Anonymous said...

Lovely Ed, the GG is absolutely beautiful. I'm off work with a rotten cold (watching Ice Cold in Alice)and reading your blog has warmed me 'art. I agree with the other northerner!! You are indeed a pure soul and a wise oracle.
love you and have a super chrimbo.
xxxxxxxxxx

sis said...

hey ed, sound like you are having fun - like others have said - makes me want to set off myself. England - grey - grim - december - cold - remind me to always go away! Can't quite get a picture of your cabin or the surrounds - is it beautiful?

sis said...

ok.. I am being dotty.. did not see all the photo's... the blog business is complicated...

Anonymous said...

Don't you DARE wade across a river, neck deep for money and food. I'll send you some postal orders and cuppa soups. Although you are obviously drinking your days like wine, by the time I read them you've condensed them to whisky. Heady brew. Fine work mate ......That perfect set awaits.
Peace, Spongo.

paula said...

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Eddddddd!!!! Thank you to write about all of us in this way, I was laugthing alone remembering how wonderful was to met all of you.
And most of all I have to thank you because you helped me forget how my trip was going...
And of course you have one of the purest soul i have ever come across...